This American Raspberry Refrigerator Cheesecake is an absolute winner when you have a crowd.
American Raspberry Refrigerator Cheesecake
Ingredients: serves 8 to 10.
100g ginger or digestive biscuits
50g butter, melted
225g cream cheese
140g carton soured cream
2 eggs, separated
1 tbsp gelatine powder (I used 4 gelatine sheets soaked in cold water for 5 mins)
2 tbsp water
50g caster sugar
226g pack frozen raspberries, thawed or fresh raspberries
25g (1 oz) vanilla sugar to finish
How to Prepare
1. Put the biscuits between two sheets of greaseproof paper and crush finely with a rolling pin. Put in a mixing bowl. Pour in the melted butter and stir to combine. Using a metal spoon, press into the base of a 17.5 cm (7 in) loose-bottomed cake tin.
2. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until quite firm. Meanwhile, make the filling. Put the cream cheese and soured cream in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
3. Beat in the egg yolks until thoroughly mixed. Set aside. Sprinkle the gelatine over the water in a small heatproof bowl and leave until spongy, then place the bowl in a pan of hot water and stir over low heat until the gelatine has dissolved.
4. Remove the bowl from the pan and leave to cool slightly. Stir into the cheese mixture with the sugar. Leave until just beginning to set.
5. Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the cheese mixture with the thawed raspberries and their juice. Reserve a few raspberries for decoration. Pour into the prepared base and chill in the refrigerator until set, preferably overnight.
6. Take the cheesecake carefully out of the tin (the base may be left on if difficult to move) and place on a serving platter. Top with the reserved raspberries, sprinkle with vanilla sugar and serve.