Apricot and ginger soufflés – a low fat, high taste dessertCourse: Dessert
When I first met Husband I was living in a flat in Chiswick. After we had been out a couple of times he offered to cook me supper in my kitchen. I was bowled over when he served me the lightest cheese soufflé – it was simply a thing of joy. Not only that, and instrumental in my admiration for him, was that he left my kitchen in exactly the same spotless state that he found it (so definitely a keeper!). Ever since have always relished soufflés and this Good Housekeeping recipe for Apricot and ginger soufflés makes an excellent low fat pud.
400 g (14oz) apricots, stoned and quartered
½ tsp ground ginger
100g (3½oz) golden caster sugar
A squeeze of lemon juice
200 ml (7fl oz) skimmed milk
15g (½oz) cornflour
2 balls stem ginger, finely chopped
3 medium eggs, separated
Icing sugar to dust
- In a large pan, gently cook the apricots, ground ginger, sugar and 75ml (3fl oz) water for 10min until fruit is soft. Purée in a food processor or blender until smooth, then leave to cool. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan) mark 5 and put a baking sheet on the middle shelf to heat up, making sure there’s enough space for the soufflés to rise. Heat 175ml (6fl oz) of the milk until just boiling. Whisk the remaining cold milk into the cornflour. Pour this mix into the hot milk, return pan to heat and whisk until thick. Spoon into a large bowl and cool for 5min.
- Spoon 1tbsp of the apricot purée into each of six 200ml (7fl oz) ramekins. Sprinkle stem ginger on top. Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside. Beat egg yolks into the cooled milk sauce, then fold in remaining apricot purée. Next, fold in the egg whites in two batches. Working quickly so as not to lose too much air, divide mixture among the ramekins.
- Bake for 15-20min until risen and golden. Dust with icing sugar and get them to the table as quickly as you can.
- Could be just the recipe you are looking for if you have guests you’d like to impress
More delish dessert recipes here