Baked Feta cheese in Filo Pastry with honey & sesame seedsCourse: StartersCuisine: GreekDifficulty: Easy
One of these is an appetiser for 2-3 people, just a few bites each or you can make it for one person and accompany it with a salad for lunch. And while it seems like an indulgent appetiser, one serving is about 100 calories, low carb (the Filo adds very little) and a good source of calcium.
85g Feta cheese ideally you want the feta to be in the shape of a rectangle or square about 7.5cm x 10cm
1 sheet of filo pastry
1-2 tspns honey
1 tspn sesame seeds
Olive oil for brushing
- Preheat oven at 180℃
- Toast the sesame seeds. Heat them on the stove to on medium heat for about 1-2 minutes, shaking the pan.
- Spread the Filo sheet and brush with olive oil (make sure you have covered the whole sheet with the olive oil.)
- Place the feta in the bottom of the Filo and fold the sides over and then fold the cheese over until you have reached the end of the Filo. Brush the outside with olive oil and place with folded sided on the bottom on a pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven drizzle with honey and sprinkle the sesame seeds over it.
More recipes by Elena Paravantes in her book The Mediterranean Diet. MORE INFORMATION HERE