Memories of sitting in a Chinese restaurant come flooding back when I think of this absolutely mouthwatering dessert. We could all do with a sweet treat to keep our spirits up as we near the end of another crazy year. So here are three ways with bananas to thrill your family’s tastebuds!
Sesame Toffee Banana PancakesCourse: Sweet Treats
A sweet and sticky topping of toffee and bananas turns these pancakes into a pretty irresistible dessert – 371 cals per person.
100 g self-raising flour
225 ml semi-skimmed milk
1 medium free-range egg
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 knob of butter
1 tsp sesame seeds
4 tbsp readymade toffee sauce
4 small scoops vanilla ice cream
- In a bowl or jug, whisk together the flour, milk and egg until you have a smooth batter. Let stand for 20 minutes. Line a dinner plate with baking parchment.
- Put a 20cm non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add a little of the oil and swirl around the pan. Pour a ladleful of batter into the pan, swirling so the batter covers the base in a thin layer. Cook the pancake for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then flip it over and cook the other side. Remove from the pan onto the prepared plate.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture until you have 8 pancakes, layering with a sheet of baking parchment between each one to prevent sticking.
- Slice the bananas, put in a frying pan with a knob of butter and fry for a few minutes. Add the sesame seeds, stirring, until toasted. Spoon on top of the pancakes, add a squeeze of toffee sauce and serve with the ice cream.
Toffee & Sesame Bananas
Traditional toffee bananas are deep-fried, but this is a lighter version, served with caramel sauce which takes 20mins and is 312 cals per portion.
- 6 large bananas , peeled and quartered
- 8 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 200ml double cream
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds , toasted
- good-quality vanilla ice cream, to serve
Toss the bananas in 2 tbsp of the sugar. Heat a griddle to medium, then cook the bananas, a few pieces at a time, until sticky and showing griddle marks. Keep warm in a low oven.
For the sauce, put the remaining sugar, the butter and cream into a saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has melted. Stir in the sesame seeds. Can be made up to a day ahead. To serve, put a few pieces of banana into 8 serving dishes, spoon over some of the caramel, then top with a scoop of ice cream.
Vegan banana pancakes
Foolproof diary-free and egg-free banana pancakes. Makes 12. Takes 20 mins. 94 cals per portion. So fluffy and light…
- 1 large ripe banana (around 150g)
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil , plus extra for cooking
- 120g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 150ml oat, almond milk or soya milk
- syrup to serve (optional)
Mash the banana in a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, salt and oil. Add the flour and baking powder and mix thoroughly. Make a well in the centre and gradually whisk in the milk. The batter should be a thick, droppable consistency.
Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add 2 tbsp of the batter to make American-style pancakes. You will be able to make about 4-5 at a time. Fry on each side for 2-3 mins until golden. Serve with syrup, sliced banana and berries, if you like.