A Breton-style top has to be one of the very best wardrobe staples for women of any age or shape. They look so fresh and these tops come in so many variations – fine stripes, wide stripes, different colourways, t-shirts, jerseys and cardigans.
Another plus is that they are not too expensive considering how many times you are likely to wear them. You may find cheaper Breton-style tops on the internet but they will probably lose their shape after a few wears and/or are not produced sustainably.
DID YOU KNOW? Originally seen on French Navy uniforms in 1858, the Breton top originally featured 21 stripes, one for each of Napoleon Bonaparte’s victories plus the distinctive stripes made it easier to spot unlucky sailors who had fallen overboard.
- Super feminine pale blue long sleeve Breton top – wide stripe and boxy shape. £32 at Boden
- Breton Striped Jumper in Cotton Mix with puff Sleeves from La Redoute £41.25
- Supersoft frill detail top £32 at Boden
- Ivory Striped Colour Flash Crew Neck Jumper £34.30 from Wallis
- Relaxed collar sweater £65 at & Other Stories
- Striped sweater with zip £35.99 from Mango
- Breton Crew Neck Long Sleeve Cardigan in cotton-rib jersey. Doubles as a lightweight jacket when layered. £115 from Me+Em.
- Cotton cashmere sleeveless vest (such a great layering piece) £95 at Me+Em
- Boxy Breton in cream and black £85 at Me+Em
- Striped Crew Neck Jumper £19.50 at M&S
- Relaxed fit tee £55 at Cos
- Slim fit long sleeved top £29 from Cos
I hope you found this article on Breton tops useful. We’ve lots more fashion-related posts here on A&G website if you feel like having some more style inspiration…