Broccoli, Butterbean & Crispy Bacon SoupDifficulty: Easy
So you know how you get chatting to your hairdresser in the salon, well I’m glad I did because the subject got on to homemade soup. When Heidi started describing one of her favourite recipes, I wrote it down immediately so I could try it myself. It is as wonderful as Heidi told me it would be. So let’s get cooking…
2 heads of broccoli
2 cans of butterbeans, drained
Red onion, diced
2 rashers back bacon or handful of lardons
1 litre vegetable stock
Large handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Dry fry the bacon in a large saucepan until it is crispy. Set aside on kitchen towel.
- Slowly cook the red onion in the bacon fat until it is translucent (add a little more oil if necessary)
- Add stock and, when boiling, add the broccoli.
- Cook until broccoli just tender then whizz, with the butterbeans, in a blender. Add parsley and whizz again.
- Serve in bowls with the crispy lardons scattered on top.
- Heidi mentioned that a crushed clove of garlic could be a good addition to this recipe – add to the red onion as it is cooking.
We’ve more scrumptious soups – how about trying this comforting chowder?