Butternut Squash Autumn PieCuisine: VegetarianDifficulty: Moderate
This Butternut Squash Autumn Pie is a Mob Kitchen recipe and was cooked for husband and I by our youngest son and a friend. It looked amazing and tasted even better. My husband said, “who needs meat when you have recipes like this”.
1 Large Butternut Squash
2 Sweet Potatoes
400g of Spinach
1 Brown Onion
250g of Filo Pastry
250g of Ricotta
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Peel squash and sweet potato. Cut into cubes. Add to a roasting tray.
Season with salt and pepper and add a drizzle of olive oil. Place in the oven for 50 minutes or until cooked through.
- Finely chop 1 onion and 2 garlic cloves. Add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan and chuck the onion and garlic in. Fry until the onions are soft.
Add your spinach and wilt it down. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the spinach mix from the frying pan and into a sieve. Squeeze the spinach with a wooden spoon to get rid of excess moisture. Add the spinach to a mixing bowl.
- Remove your potato and squash from the oven. Mash it up. Add to the mixing bowl. Add your feta, ricotta, 4 eggs and the zest of a lemon. Season with salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix everything together.
- Pie time. Line your pie dish with olive oil. Add a layer of filo pastry. Brush with olive oil. Repeat with 4 more layers of filo. Fill the pie with your filling. Fold the edges of the pastry over the top. Add 3-4 crumpled sheets of filo on the top. Brush with egg yolk.
- Place the pie in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Remove when golden brown.
Serve up the pie and tuck in!
More wonderful veggie recipes here