Cauliflower cheese soupCourse: SoupsCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
Cauliflower cheese…one of those excellent side dishes on a wintry evening. It’s a classic that we wanted to try a slightly different spin on, so here are all those comforting flavours in a soup. Serve with cheese toasties for a double cheese hit!
20 g olive oil
200g onions, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
750g cauliflower, leaves trimmed, cut in small pieces or florets
600g vegetable stock
¾ tsp fine sea salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 dried bay leaf
100g Cheddar cheese, grated, plus extra grated for garnishing
10g fresh chives, snipped in lengths (3 mm), for garnishing
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add onions and garlic. Sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, stock and bay leaf. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Add milk and cheddar. Bring back to simmering.
- Liquidise it all. It should be easy as cauliflower will be soft.
- Serve hot with a sprinkling of snipped chives and a grating of Cheddar.