“When I stayed at Annabel’s earlier this week, she made this easily prepared recipe for Chocolate and Salted Caramel Mousse. We reminisced for ages (after all we’ve known each other for 45 years so there’s lots of laughing and remembering to be done!) but there was a pleasing silence as we relished this fabulously indulgent pudding she kindly knocked up for us. So I can definitely recommend this recipe.” Grace
Chocolate and Salted Caramel MousseCourse: Sweet TreatsCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
Light, fluffy and totally delicious. Everyone who loves chocolate will love this pudding.
140g Mars bars
340ml double cream, plus 60ml for the topping (optional)
A pinch of sea salt
120g condensed milk
A little dark chocolate to serve (optional)
- Chop the Mars bars into small pieces and toss them into a small pan along with 40ml of the cream. Set on a very low heat and stir constantly for 3-4 min until the chocolate is completely melted and you have a thick sauce.
- Add a generous pinch of salt (do this to taste) and stir to combine, then take the pan off the heat and set to one side.
- Combine the remaining 300ml of cream in a mixing bowl with the condensed milk and whisk until thickened but not stiff — just thick enough so a trail forms when you lift the whisk out of the bowl.
- Now gently fold in the melted chocolate and spoon the mousse into four glasses or small bowls (or one single big serving bowl, if you prefer to share).
- Chill in the fridge for 3-4 hours to allow the mousse to set and thicken, though you can also eat it straight away and it will be delicious.
- Before serving, whisk the last of the cream (60ml) until stiff peaks form, then spoon a good dollop on top of each portion of chocolate mousse.
- Grate a little dark chocolate over it, if you like, for decoration.