Chocolate and Salted Caramel TartCourse: Sweet TreatsCuisine: FranglaisDifficulty: Easy
This, Chocolate and Salted Caramel Tart, is my favourite chocolate pudding. It is easy to make and is very light and not as rich as the ingredients would make it seem. It is an absolute show stopper as everyone loves it and I am always asked for the recipe at the end of the meal.
140g plain flour
30g icing sugar
- FOR CARAMEL
400g jar of Dulce de Leche or a 397g tin of caramel condensed milk
1 tsp sea salt flakes
- FOR CHOCOLATE:
130g dark chocolate
1 egg plus 2 extra egg yolks
3 tbsp caster sugar
- Put all the ingredients for the pastry into a food processor and mix until the dough forms a ball. Press the dough into a 23cm tart tin with a removable base. Prick all over really thoroughly, even up the sides (this will prevent shrinkage), then chill in the fridge.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 200℃/Fan 180℃/Gas 6 for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden. Reduce the oven temperature to 180℃/Fan 160℃/Gas 4.
- When the pastry has cooled, spread ith with the dulce de leche or condensed milk and sprinkle with the sea salt.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl placed over a pan of simmering water. Whisk the egg and the 2 yolks with the sugar until thick and then fold in the chocolate mixture. Pour this mixture over the layer of caramel and bake for 12 minutes.
- Serve with crème fraîche.
- If you would like to buy the recipe book – Recipes from Le Rouzet by Cathy Gayner – see below.