Here are my second batch of tips for cleaning without chemicals which will not only save the environment but will save your pocket too! If you want to read the first 10 top tips click HERE.
1. BOTTLES WITH NARROW NECKS: Fill the bottle with hot water and add a little washing up liquid. Then add half a cup of white rice. Shake well. The rice will rub against the sides of the bottle and clean all of the dirt. Wait for the deposits to break up, then shake again. Wash with warm water.
2. DUST: You can use an anti-static cloth to wipe down any surface: base boards, the TV screen or the screen of a computer, book shelves — anything. The cloth will remove any dust with ease.
3. BLINDS: Put a clean sock on your hand. Soak it in a mixture of one part water and one part vinegar, then wipe down the blinds with your hand.
4. DRAINAGE: Pour half a cup of soda and half a cup of vinegar down the plug hole, one at a time. Cover it and leave for 15 minutes. Wash down some warm water.
5. CARPET STAINS: Wipe the stain with a mixture consisting of one part vinegar and two parts water. Cover it with a wet cloth, and then run a hot iron over it for 30 seconds. Repeat the process if the stain doesn’t disappear the first time round.
6. LIMESCALE: To get rid of limescale covering the surface of taps, wipe them with a piece of lemon and after five minutes rinse with water.
7. COFFEE GRINDER/SPICE MILL: To clean these as well as get rid of the smell, just grind some rice in them and add one tablespoon of baking soda.
8. PLASTIC CONTAINERS: Wipe the dirty part with lemon juice, allow to dry and then rinse. This will get rid of both stains and smells.
9. ANIMAL ODOURS: Mix soda and hydrogen peroxide in equal parts in a bowl. Use a sponge to wipe the affected area, and the odour will disappear straight away.
10. THE OVEN: Pour a small amount of spirit of hartshorn (an aqueous solution of ammonia) into a container and leave it overnight in the switched-off oven. Air the room in the morning, and then wash the oven. The dirt will come off easily. The smell will disappear shortly. Just make sure you have the windows open while you’re doing it, and wear rubber gloves the whole time.