Thought you might like to know about these 8 really clever household hacks – great to memorise them for a rainy day or to tell your friends and impress them with your ingenuity!
- Overhaul your linen cupboard I keep most of my bedlinen and towels in an armoire which is both attractive and functional. However I find I still have to unfold sheets to see if they are, for example, kingsize or doubles. So I love this clever hack where you store bedlinen sets inside one of their own pillowcases and – hey presto – there is no more hunting through piles for a match.
2. Pump up the volume by placing your iPhone or iPod in a bowl. The concave shape amplifies the music.
3. Shoe storage Ever wondered what you could do with those ubiquitous shower caps you find in hotel rooms? Well, they are great for shoe storage. Pop dirty shoes in them, use them instead of shoe dust bags and/or put your shoes in them to separate them from the rest of your luggage when you are off on holiday somewhere.
4. Faster mobile charging Putting your phone into airplane mode will charge it twice as fast Putting your phone into airplane mode turns off all of the wireless radios inside, so while you won’t be able to receive calls, use data, or use GPS, you also won’t be fighting background processes that use those radios for power while your phone is plugged in.
5. Safe hammering Hold a nail in a clothes peg when hammering to save hitting your fingers.
6. Easy opening Wish I’d known this trick before the scissors I was using to open one of these dastardly packs slipped and cut the top of my thumb off. Am always going use a can opener on difficult to open plastic packaging in future.
7. Keep a pot from bubbling over by putting wooden spoon across the top.
8. Peel a whole potato with one stroke Not keen on peeling potatoes? All you need to do is make a shallow cut all the way around the centre of each potato and pop them in a saucepan to boil. The skins will magically drop off (and you will preserve more of the nutrients).
Loads more great tips and tricks here