As busy women, we need all the help we can get to make our lives a little easier. Memorise these clever household hacks for a rainy day and tell your friends about them – you’ll impress them with your ingenuity!
- Overhaul your linen cupboard I keep most of my bedlinen and towels in an armoire which is both attractive and functional. However I find I still have to unfold sheets to see if they are, for example, singles or doubles. So I love this clever hack where you store bedlinen sets inside one of their own pillowcases and – hey presto – there is no more hunting through piles for a match.
2. Pump up the volume by placing your iPhone or iPod in a bowl. The concave shape amplifies the music.
3. Shoe storage Ever wondered what you could do with those ubiquitous shower caps you find in hotel rooms? Well, they are perfect for shoe storage. Pop dirty shoes in them, use them instead of shoe dust bags and/or put your shoes in them to separate them from the rest of your luggage when you are next off on holiday.
4. Faster mobile charging Putting your phone into airplane mode will charge it twice as fast. While you won’t be able to receive calls, use data or GPS, you also won’t be fighting background processes.
5. Safe hammering Hold a nail in a clothes peg when hammering to save hitting your fingers. It also helps the nail go in straight.
6. Easy opening Wish I’d known this trick before the scissors I was using to open one of these dastardly rigid plastic packs slipped and cut the top of my thumb off. Am always going use a can opener in future – so much safer.
7. Keep a pot from bubbling over by putting wooden spoon across the top.
8. Peel a whole potato with one stroke Not keen on peeling potatoes? All you need to do is make a shallow cut all the way around the centre of each potato and pop them in a saucepan to boil. The skins will magically drop off (and you will preserve more of the nutrients).
Loads more great tips and tricks here