Marvellous-Mother-In-Law and my “lockdown lunch club” is still going strong every Sunday. We often use this alternative hosting opportunity to try out new recipes on each other. Usually they are a great success but I still remember the time when MMIL bravely finished an extremely salty Asian dish I made for her once. That’s real friendship for you! This was my most recent offering: Cod Puttanesca… and very tasty it was too with a pleasant hint of heat. It is also well under 500 calories – a bonus at this “let’s get healthy” time of year. We finished the meal with a calorific pudding but am sure you are more sensible than us!!
Cod Puttanesca with Spinach
Tuck into a healthy seafood dish in half an hour. A healthy yet scrummy combo of low-fat, high-protein white fish and a lipsmacking Puttanesca sauce
1 white or red onion , sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
Half red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
Garlic clove, chopped
200g cherry tomatoes , halved
2 tbspn capers, drained
6 olives, pitted and halved
2 skinless cod loins
160g baby spinach leaves
small handful chopped parsley, to serve
Half tin of anchovies, drained
Tbspn balsamic drizzle
Juice of half a lemon
200g of tinned black beans
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion, garlic, chilli and anchovies together for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, beans, capers, olives and most of the parsley, then bring to a simmer and cook for 5 mins or so until the tomatoes are softened. Fold through the spinach. If your frying pan isn’t ovenproof, transfer the sauce to a medium baking dish.
- Drizzle over the balsamic and lemon juice and then nestle the cod loins into the sauce. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until the fish is opaque and flaky. Drizzle the fish with a little olive oil and sprinkle with parsley to serve.
- You could also use butter beans or flageolet if you prefer them/have them in your cupboard
If you like cod, you will probably like this Miso baked cod recipe which is bursting with umami deliciousness!