If you are as ancient as me you will probably also remember the days when only our mothers shopped at Marks and Spencer. If mine ever took me to our local store I would be slightly embarrassed – me? Wear M&S? I’m far too young! Well how things have changed over the decades – Marks and Spencer has so much to offer all of us, whatever our age.
Moreover, their fashion is now so on trend that you have to be quick to get it before it’s gone. I recently did a 30 mile trip in search of a pair of green suede ankle boots from their store in Worthing that supposedly had one pair. Incredibly, they were still on the shelf when I got there and I’m so happy because they are my absolute go to footwear these days.
Anyhow Annabel and I decided to visit M&S’s Camberley store to see what was new and interesting. There was so much to look at – not only denim but also lots of contemporary footwear, tops and jackets. And I’d like to add how impressed I am with M&S sizing and styling – for starters, the waists are more roomy and the footwear more true to size than they once were.
What consumer isn’t on the look out for sustainably made clothes these days. And quite right too. M&S has been selling eco-friendly cotton for years now.
As many of you already know, Annabel and I are major fans of M&S denim jeans. In particular the Sienna which is a straight leg/high waist combo with added stretch (£22.50) that seems to suit everyone and is really comfortable to wear. But even we were tempted by the wide selection of styles currently on offer…
- Cotton rich striped roll neck jumper £29.50
- Harper Premium Selvedge Cigarette ankle grazer Jeans (Annabel is wearing medium indigo and I’m wearing dark indigo) £59
- Cotton Rich Denim Utility Jacket £45
- Cable Knit Roll Neck Longline Jumper £35
- Suede Chelsea Buckle Flatform Ankle Boots £79
- Lace Up Side Detail trainers (worn by Annabel) £35 – available in half sizes (generous fit)
We found these two elegant jackets and a super useful trench:
- Pure Cotton Tweed Collarless Short Jacket in Midnight Navy, sizes 6 – 24 £69
- Printed High Neck Bib Detail Blouse £35
- Slim Flare jeans £32.50 (three leg lengths)
- Cotton Blend Belted Trench Coat £55
- Pure Merino wool striped crew neck jumper £29.50 True to size but think this would look even better one size up.
- Eva Bootcut Jeans £22.50 (five different colours available)
- Tweed tailored double breasted blazer £79 Absolutely gorgeous, this won’t be around for long!
Sleeveless knitted vests are super useful as an extra layer and M&S currently has a good range:
- Cream Recycled Blend Striped Knitted Vest £25
- Navy Striped Crew Neck Knitted Vest £22.50
- Denim shirt in Light Indigo £35 and Harper Supersoft Cigarette Jeans in Light Indigo £32.50
- Leather Lace Up Flatform Brogues £69
- Jaeger Cotton Rich Fitted Long Sleeve Shirt £79
- Magic Shaping High Waisted Slim Flare Jeans in indigo mix £45
- Lace Up Side Detail trainers in navy mix £35 (come up a bit large)
- Cotton Rich Relaxed Blazer £59 and matching Cotton Rich Wide Leg Trousers £39.50
- Recycled Thermowarmth™ Lightweight Quilted Jacket – available in five colours – £35
- Twill Relaxed Shacket £59 – so easy to wear and with that vital pop of colour to cheer up a drizzly day.
- Canvas Printed Tote Bag £39.50 – available in four lovely prints
- Mini Grab Bag £29.50 with magnetic closure and detachable webbing strap.
And it’s not just blue denim jeans that M&S has on offer:
- Harper Straight Leg Ankle Grazer Jeans £22.50 in Petal Pink or Bright Turquoise and in three lengths
- Denim Jacket with Stretch £39.50 in Pink
- Denim V-Neck Midaxi Tiered Shirt Dress £55
- Cotton Rich Printed Utility Jacket (worn by Grace) £49.50, sizes 6 – 24
- Wide Fit Slip On Flatform Loafers in White Mix £35 (some half sizes and also available in black)
- Cotton Rich Utility Jacket (worn by Annabel) £39.50 in faded khaki, sizes 6 – 24
- Pure Tencel Belted Wide Legged Jumpsuit in black £89
… and last but not least, here’s that snazzy blue coat I mentioned in the title of this article. It’s the Twill Relaxed Single Breasted Coat. Available in turquoise or emerald and in sizes 6 – 24, this is a stylish snip at £69.
More style inspiration and/or fashion that we’ve edited for women over 50 can be found here.
PLEASE NOTE: In order that Annabel & Grace magazine can be accessed free of charge by our readers, we occasionally accept sponsored posts from brands and/or use affiliate links. This in no way affects our editorial decision making, as our integrity is of the highest importance to us. Our reviews are genuine and honest feedback on products used personally by ourselves and our likeminded contributors.