Garden Ice-Cream with herbs and flowers
Kitty Travers, founder of cult ice-cream parlour La Grotta Ices, creates a simple new Garden ice-cream recipe using sheep’s milk. I have never tasted anything so subtle and flavoursome. The rose petals and herbs, Lemon Verbena, Mint, Coriander & Sage, that I used gave a flavour that evoked an English summer.
130g unrefined sugar
15g tapioca starch (or cornflour)
550g sheep’s milk
100ml double cream
1 heaped tsp honey
40g garden herbs & flowers, chopped
- Prepare a sink full of iced water, and place a fine mesh sieve over a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk 2 tbsp of the sugar into the tapioca starch.
- Heat the rest of the sugar with the milk, cream and honey, stirring often using a whisk or silicone spatula to prevent scorching.
- Once the liquid is hot and steaming, pour it into the bowl containing he tapioca starch, whisking constantly to combine without lumps forming.
- Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a low heat, continuing to whisk.
- When oit starts to simmer, take the pan off the heat, stir in the herbs and flowers, then cover with clingfilm and put it in the sink of iced water.
- After 15 minutes, remove the pan and pour the mixture through the mesh sieve into the bowl, squeezing it hard to extract flavour from the herbs. You should see a tint of pale acid green seep into the mix with the last squeezes.
- Return the mixture to the sink of iced water to cool it completely before covering and refrigerating overnight.
- The following day, liquefy the mixture by blending it with a hand blender for one minute.
- Pour the mix into an ice-cream machine. Churn according to the machine’s instructions, or until frozen and the texture of whipped cream.
- Scrape the ice cream into a lidded container. Top with a piece of waxed paper to limit exposure to air, cover and freeze until ready to serve. The ice cream is best eaten within one week.
- If you want to buy Kitty Travers book, La Grotta Ices, click HERE for so many more delicious ice-cream, sorbet & gelato recipes.
Lots more sweet treats if you CLICK HERE