Thanks go to Karen W. who, many years ago, served us an anchovy & caper dressing which my tastebuds thought was wonderfully feisty and went perfectly with beef. This recipe for Griddled Steak Salad has two dressings – one for the warm salad, the other the aforementioned anchovy & caper melange.
Griddled Steak Salad with a feisty anchovy & caper dressingDifficulty: Easy
The following ingredients will serve two, but are easily doubled or trebled depending on how many lucky people you are making this for.
FOR THE SALAD
150g unpeeled new potatoes, thickly sliced
160g fine green beans
160g frozen peas
200g thickly cut piece of steak
160g Romain lettuce, roughly torn into pieces
FOR THE SALAD DRESSING
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp cider or red wine vinegar
¼ tspn English mustard powder
2 tbsp chopped mint
2 tbsp chopped basil
FOR THE ANCHOVY & CAPER DRESSING
6 – 8 anchovies
Tbsp capers, drained
2 tbsp olive oil
Large clove garlic, minced
½ tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Cook the potatoes for 5 mins in a large pan of boiling water. Top with a steamer and add the green beans and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the frozen peas and cook for 2 more minutes. Drain.
- Mix the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Brush the steak with a little oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook on a hot griddle – 4 minutes per side is about right for a succulent pink interior. Transfer to a plate to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Mix the warm vegetables into the dressing until coated, then add the lettuce. Pile onto a large platter or bowl. Slice the steak and arrange on the top. Serve the anchovy & caper dressing in a separate bowl.
- You can add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to either dressing if you’d like
If you were wondering what those tiny red teardrops are, I found them at Waitrose. They are called Sweety Drop Red Peppers and they add colour and sweetness to so many dishes.