Lamb Cutlets ShrewsburyCourse: MainCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
15g vegetable fat
8 lamb cutlets
300g button mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon plain flour
4 tablespoons redcurrant jelly
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
300ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 170℃/Gas 3.
- If necessary trim the cutlets.
- Heat the vegetable fat in a frying pan and brown the cutlets on both sides. Remove from the pan and arrange in a casserole dish with the mushrooms.
- Measure the redcurrant jelly, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice into a saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the jelly has melted and the ingredients are blended. Remove from the heat.
- Add the flour to the hot fat remaining in the frying pan (if necessary add an extra nut of fat to help absorb the flour). Stir over a low heat for about 10 minutes, until the mixture has turned a golden brown. Stir in first the jelly mixture, and then sufficient stock to make a thick gravy. Bring up to the boil stirring all the time to get the mixture smooth. Taste and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Strain the gravy over the cutlets.
- Cover and place in a moderately slow oven (170℃/Gas 3) and cook for 1½ hours.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
- My husband’s favourite! Serve with mashed potato and a selection of green vegetables.