Meatless meatballsCourse: MainsCuisine: VegetarianDifficulty: Easy
Even meat lovers will enjoy this meal.
250 g (9oz) cup mushrooms
3 tbsp. olive oil
75 g (3oz) vegetarian mature Cheddar, grated
40 g (1½oz) ground almonds
½ red onion, grated
125 g (4oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 medium egg
- For the sauce
250 g (9oz) half-fat créme fraîce
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon (or to taste)
Large handful fresh basil, torn
- Whizz the mushrooms in a food processor until they are finely chopped (if you don’t have a food processor, then finely chop them by hand).
- Heat 1tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook the mushrooms until they are tender and any liquid in the pan has evaporated. Set aside to cool completely.
- To the mushroom pan, add the cheese, ground almonds, grated onion, breadcrumbs, soy sauce, egg and some seasoning. Form the mixture into walnut-size balls (about 16).
- Heat the remaining oil in a large clean frying pan over medium heat, and fry the balls in batches if needed (and turning occasionally) for about 5 mins until golden and piping hot (they might flatten slightly during frying). Set aside in a serving bowl and cover well with foil to keep warm
- To make the sauce, melt the crème fraîche in the empty pan, then stir in the lemon zest (to taste), basil and some seasoning. Serve the sauce on top of the meatballs alongside some rice or pasta.