I normally shy away from Nigella Lawson’s TV programmes – too many glowing adjectives for my liking, but she does come up with some fabulous recipes. Here is a simple and simply delicious salmon recipe of hers which she says “must be the fastest way there is to create a culinary sensation. You do scarcely a thing – just dibble (dibble??!!) some salmon steaks in a dark glossy potion…” Anyhow, I have taken the liberty of editing out her superlatives and rewritten this in down to earth English!
Mirin Glazed SalmonDifficulty: Super easy, mirin, Nigella Lawson, rice vinegar, pak choi, microwave rice, sushi, spring onion, ginger
60 ml mirin (japanese sweet rice wine)
50 gram(s) light brown sugar
60 ml soy sauce
4 x 125g thick salmon steaks
2 tablespoon(s) rice vinegar
2 spring onion(s) (halved and shredded into fine strips)
- Mix mirin, sugar and soy in a shallow dish and marinate the salmon for 5 mins, turning once.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan on the hob (no oil required). Cook salmon for 2 mins then turn over, add the marinade and cook for another 2 mins.
- Remove salmon and add rice vinegar to hot pan to warm through. Pour pan juices over salmon and top with spring onion. Serve with white or jasmine rice** and sushi ginger.
- Nigella doesn’t mention vegetables, but I would recommend some steamed pak choi or broccoli. Because we all need to eat our greens.
- ** I use those fabulous microwave bags of rice – sooo easy. Grace x
Lots and lots more fantastic tried & tasted recipes here. In fact, over 850 of them!