I was looking for something scrummy and summery to serve with roast chicken and came across this recipe for Mixed Potato Salad with Pickled Onion Dressing. Actually there are no pickled onions as we know them in this recipe, rather a macerated red onion that is super delish because the pickling process makes it sweeter and less strong/pungent.
Mixed Potato Salad with Pickled Onion Dressing
1.2kg baby new potatoes
400g thin sweet potatoes cut into 5mm thick rounds
Small red onion, thinly sliced (a mandolin is great for this)
1tbsp apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
1tbsp lemon or lime juice
1tsp caster sugar
220g frozen peas
100g feta, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan forced and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the potato in a saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Simmer for 6 minutes or until just tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Spread the potato over 1 prepared tray. Sprinkle with the butter and drizzle with 1 tbs oil. Season. Spread the sweet potato over the remaining tray. Drizzle with 1 tbs oil. Season. Roast the sweet potato on the top shelf of the oven, turning halfway, for 20 minutes or until tender, and the potato on the middle shelf of the oven, turning halfway, for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, place the onion in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 3 minutes. Drain. Refresh under cold running water. Whisk the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and remaining oil in a large bowl and season. Add the red onion and set aside for 10 minutes to macerate.
- Place the potato, sweet potato, pickled onion mixture, peas and feta in a serving bowl and toss gently to combine.
- Two things I did differently – firstly I steamed the new potatoes (have been told that’s healthier than losing the nutrients when they are immersed in the boiling water) and I left my onions to macerate for about an hour as I found they needed that long to soften.