Mushroom and Leek Tart with apple saladCourse: Main Meals, Veggie / Vegan
This Mushroom and Leek Tart is such a lovely Spring lunch and so easy to make. It is especially tasty if the vegetable & fruit come from Riverford. Sign up now for a weekly delivery box from the Riverford Organic Farm.
1 pack puff pastry
2 garlic cloves
25g Italian style hard cheese, grated
salt and pepper
10g pumpkin seeds
1 tsp Dijon mustard
50g mixed salad leaves
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/Gas 6.
- Halve the leeks, lengthways, and give them a quick wash. Slice them, not too thinly. Finely slice the mushrooms.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Fry the leeks and mushrooms on a medium-high heat for 10 mins. Stir now and then.
- Meanwhile, take the pastry out of the fridge and unroll it. You only need two-thirds so cut off and save one-third. Cut the rest into 2 equal-sized rectangles and place on a baking sheet.
- Beat the egg and brush over the pastry (keep the leftover egg for later). Use a sharp knife to score a border around the pastry approx. 2 cm in from the edge. Use a fork to prick the middle part only, several times. Bake for 10 mins.
- While the pastry cooks, peel and finely chop the garlic. Pick off 1 good tbsp worth of thyme leaves. Stir the garlic and thyme into the mushrooms. Turn off the heat. Leave to cool slightly.
- Stir in the Italian cheese and remaining egg. Season well. Crumble in the ricotta; mix gently, so it’s well combined but leaving some chunks for texture.
- After 10 mins, remove the pastry from the oven. Carefully push down any risen pastry in the middle parts, leaving a puffed-up edge.
- Divide the mushroom mixture between the tarts. Bake for a further 7-8 mins, until the pastry is golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan for 1-2 mins. Thinly slice the apple.
- To make a dressing, whisk the mustard, 2 tbsp olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice in a bowl. Add the apple, pumpkin seeds and salad leaves. Season to taste. Gently mix.
- Serve the tart with the salad on the side.