One-Pot Roast Chicken With Barley, White Wine & PeasCourse: MainCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
Honestly, this One-Pot Roast Chicken With Barley, White Wine & Peas is one of my family’s favourites and is often requested by them.
1 tbsp of sunflower oil
8 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, total weight about 1.5kg
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 large red onion, finely chopped
225g of pearl barley
200ml of white wine
4 rosemary sprigs
800ml of hot chicken or vegetable stock
Juice of ½ lemon
150g of frozen peas
Defrosted bunch of parsley leaves, finely chopped
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 150°C/Fan 130°C/Gas 2.
- Pour the oil into a flameproof casserole dish and place over a high heat. Add the chicken, skin side up, and fry for 4 minutes. Season the skin with a large pinch of salt and pepper and turn the thighs over. Fry for a further 4 minutes until golden. Remove the thighs and place skin side up on a plate.
- Put the carrots and onion in the casserole, sprinkle over 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper and fry for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Stir in the pearl barley for 1
minute, then pour in the wine. Stir and allow the alcohol to evaporate for about 1 minute. Add the rosemary and pour over the hot stock. Stir, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the heat and stir the barley. Place the chicken thighs on top of the barley, skin side up, and cook in the middle of the oven, uncovered, for 55 minutes.
- Take the dish out of the oven, remove the chicken thighs and place on a plate. Remove and discard the rosemary. Pour the lemon juice and peas into the barley mixture and stir well. Check for seasoning.
- Place the chicken back on top of the barley and return to the oven for a final 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the parsley and serve in the middle of the table for everyone to tuck in. A perfect one-pot dish, with vegetables, pulses and protein.
- This recipe was taken from Gino’s Italy: Like Mamma Used to make. Available from Amazon, HERE