If you want to hit the spot with teenagers and husbands then this Parmesan Chicken dish will do the trick!
Serves 4 to 6
• Olive oil cooking spray
• 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs (available in Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients section)
• 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 2 tablespoons sweet or smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 large eggs
• 4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or cutlets, each about 1/2 inch thick (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
• 1 jar (24 ounces) good-quality marinara sauce (I love Rao’s)
• 6 to 8 slices provolone (I subsitituted cheddar) cheese
• 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F with a rack in the upper third. Generously mist a sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. Stir together the panko, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a large bowl to combine. In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. In a third shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs.
3. Dip each chicken cutlet first in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess, then in the eggs, and finally in the panko mixture, patting to coat thoroughly on both sides. Place the breaded chicken cutlets on the prepared pan. Mist the chicken with cooking spray to lightly coat.
4. Bake the chicken until the panko has browned and the cutlets are almost entirely cooked through (they’ll no longer feel squishy when you poke them), about 15 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the oven. Top each chicken cutlet with about 1/2 cup marinara sauce (use up the jar) and the provolone and Parmesan, and return to the oven. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, an additional 10 minutes.
6. Serve hot. Pasta is the traditional accompaniment to chicken Parmesan, but a green salad and some toasted crusty bread are also great alongside.
Tip: Using panko breadcrumbs instead of regular results in crispier chicken!