Again we have been given permission by Jo Pratt to re-publish one of her delicious recipes from her Madhouse Cookbook.
MAKES 4 adult portions PREPARATION TIME 25 minutes, plus cooling COOKING TIME 50 minutes
QUINOA, BEETROOT, SQUASH AND FETA SALAD
1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-sized wedges
4 raw beetroot, cut into bite-sized wedges
2 tbsp olive oil
60g/21⁄4oz/scant 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts 100g/31⁄2oz/ 1⁄2 cup quinoa 150g/51⁄2oz baby spinach leaves
1 small bunch mint leaves, roughly chopped
1 bunch spring onions, finely sliced
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced 400g/14oz feta cheese, crumbled
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE HONEY AND MUSTARD DRESSING
4 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
finely grated zest of 1 orange
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6.
2. Put the butternut squash and beetroot in a roasting tray, toss in the oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Roast for about 40–50 minutes until they are softened and becoming golden. Once cooked, leave to cool to room temperature.
3. While you are roasting the vegetables, put the hazelnuts in a small baking tray and roast for 8 minutes until golden. Leave to cool slightly, then roughly chop and leave to one side.
4. Rinse the quinoa in cold water, then put in a saucepan with 300ml/ 101⁄2fl oz/scant 11⁄4 cups cold water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 20 minutes until all the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is light and fluffy. Leave to cool.
5. Put the dressing ingredients in a screw-topped jar, shake well, then leave to one side. (You can roast the vegetables and nuts, make the dressing and cook the quinoa a few hours in advance. Cover and keep in the fridge until you are ready to finish.)
6. To finish, put everything except the hazelnuts and feta in a bowl, pour over the dressing and toss together well. Serve sprinkled with the feta and hazelnuts.