Roasted Mushroom & Aubergine MoussakaCourse: Main Meals, Recipes, Veggie / Vegan
Totally delicious and so much lighter than a traditional meat Moussaka
2 large potatoes
250g cherry tomatoes
4 garlic cloves
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
2 tins chopped tomatoes
100g grated Cheddar cheese
100g mixed salad leaves
Salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 190℃/gas 5. Halve the onions then peel and chop through the root into thin wedges. Scrub eht potatoes and chop into bite-sized pieces – not too large, so they cook in time. Toss both onion and potato in a large roasting tim in 2 tbsp olive oil. Season and roast for 10 mins, while you continue.
- Clean and quarter the mushrooms. Chop the aubergine into 1cm discs, then chop the discs in half. Halve the cherry tomatoes, unless, very small, then leave them whole.
- Toss the aubergine, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes into the roasting tin, with a splash more oil. Roast it all for 10 mins.
- Peel and finely chop or grate the garlic. Roughly chop 1 good tablespoon of oregano leaves. Shred a tsp of mint leaves.
- After 10 mins, toss the veg with the garlic, chopped oregano, mint and cinnamon. Roast for 10 mins.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs together with a fork, then stir in the yoghurt and the nutmeg.
- Toss the roasting veg with the tinned tomatoes and roast for 5 more mins, then check the seasoning before transferring it all to a reasonably snug-fitting baking dish. Spread the yogurt mix over the top, sprinkle with the cheese and bake for approx 3–45 mins, until the top is golden and just set – this will depend a lot on your oven and dish.
- Shred a little more mint, approx 1 tsp. Peel long ribbons of courgette, working down and round, stopping when you reach the seedy middle. Just before serving, toss the courgette and mint with a handful of salad leaves to your liking, a squeeze of lemon, pinch of salt and a little olive oil to taste. Serve with the moussaka.
- This recipe really makes enough for 6 and I would cook for the full 45 mins.