This pudding strikes me as the perfect early Spring dessert. Comforting sticky coconut rice, refreshing mango and passionfruit. It takes a little time to prepare but hey, as we’re in lockdown at the time of writing, we have plenty of that!
Sticky coconut rice, mango & passionfruit
…with the added taste pleasure of Thai flavours. Please note that overnight soaking is required, so this recipe needs to be made in advance.
For the rice
250g Thai sticky rice
225ml unsweetened coconut milk
85g-100g golden caster sugar
juice 1 lime
For the sauce
1 ripe mango , peeled, stoned and chopped
juice 1 orange (to give 60ml)
1 tbsp lime juice
50g golden caster sugar
For the decoration
1-2 ripe mangoes , peeled, halved and very thinly sliced
3 passion fruits , halved
small mint leaves
zest 1 lime , cut into julienne strips
- A day ahead, wash the rice with plenty of cold water, then drain and tip it into a bowl. Pour over enough cold water to more than cover it, then leave to soak overnight.
- Make the mango sauce. Liquidise the mango flesh with the orange juice, lime juice and sugar. Taste and add a little extra sugar or lime juice if necessary. Pass through a fine sieve, then chill if making ahead.
- Drain the rice, transfer to a steamer and steam for 25-30 mins until soft and tender, making sure the water doesn’t boil dry. Simmer the coconut milk with 85g of the sugar for 1 min. Pour in the lime juice, stir in the steamed rice, then leave, covered, for 5 mins until it has a thick, creamy consistency. Check for sweetness, adding more sugar to taste if needed. Cool slightly, about 10 mins, until tepid and holding its shape. The rice is best served slightly warm, as the longer it is left, the firmer and sticker it becomes.
- For each serving, place a 6.5cm diameter x 3.5cm tall ring mould in the middle of a large plate. Spoon in one-sixth of the sticky rice. Drizzle a little mango sauce on the plate around the rice. Arrange a few slices of mango on the sauce and lay a few on top of the rice with a sprinkling of lime zest. Spoon around some passion fruit seeds and juice. Scatter over a few mint leaves. Serve the remaining mango sauce separately.
- The mango sauce can be made 1-2 days ahead, then chilled. Several hours ahead, slice the mango ready for serving, scoop out the passion fruit and chill both, and julienne the lime zest and wrap in cling film.
There are 800+ recipes on this website – a great resource if you are looking for some culinary inspiration. See more Sweet Treats here.