Strawberry Meringue RouladeCourse: DessertCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Fairly easy
This Strawberry Meringue Roulade is quicker to prepare than a Pavlova so if you are short on time then definitely go for this. It is equally as delicious.
3 egg whites
1 tsp cornflour
170g caster sugar, plus 2 tsps
125 ml whipping cream
3 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
250g strawberries, hulled and sliced
a baking tray lined with baking parchment and sprinkled with 1 tsp caster sugar
- Preheat the over to 120℃ (250℉)
- Put the egg whites in a grease-free bowl, add the cornflour and beat until soft peaks form. Add 1 tbsp of sugar at a time, beating well between each addition, and continue beating until you can no longer feel grains of sugar when you rub the mixture between your thumb and forefinger.
- Use a large metal spoon to transfer the mixture to the prepared baking tray and smooth it out with a palette knife. You want a rectangle about 20 x 30 cm and no thicker than 1 cm.
- Bake the meringue in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until it is just set and the top turns a light caramel colour and is no longer sticky when lightly touched.
- Take a second piece of baking parchment, slightly larger than the meringue, and sprinkle over 1 tsp caster sugar. Quickly flip the tray upside down so that the meringue is turned out onto the paper. Tap the bottom of the tray so that the meringue comes away in one piece. Peel off the bottom piece of baking parchment. Firmly roll the meringue up into a log with the second sheet of paper and wrap in a clean tea towel. Set aside to cool completely.
- Put the cream and icing sugar in a bowl and whisk until firm peaks form. Unroll the meringue. Spoon the cream over the meringue leaving a 2-cm margin around the edge. Arrange the strawberries over the cream and roll-up.
- Dust liberally with icing sugar and cut into thick slices to serve.