Walnut tart – another corker of a recipe from Le RouzetDifficulty: Easy
It’s like a sophisticated treacle tart, but not heavy
30g icing sugar
200g golden syrup
100g walnut halves
a pinch of mixed spice
100g mixed peel
4 madeleines (or soft amaretti), crumbled
1 egg, beaten
- Put all the ingredients for the pastry into a food processor and mix until the dough forms a ball. Press the dough into a 20cm tart tin with a removable base. Prick the pastry all over really thoroughly, even up the sides (this will prevent shrinkage), then chill in the fridge.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4 for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Melt the butter and syrup in a pan and stir in all the other ingredients. Pour into the pastry case and cook at 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5 for 15 minutes.
- Cool in the tin but as soon as you can, loosen the edges of the tart or it will get stuck.
- Serve with crème fraîche.
Recipes From Le Rouzet: An English Cook in France – RRP £16.99. 100% of the proceeds raised from the sale of Cathy’s book go directly to Age Unlimited. Order your copy of this fabulous cookbook here