I recently took Sarah Simonds advice and had a wardrobe clear out so that I could replace some worn out wardrobe basics. Having previously peered at my clothes hanging on the rail and decided I couldn’t be bothered, I realised one has to be “in the mood”. You know, in a positive clearing out frame of mind, rather than hopping from one foot to the other indecisively.
Gosh it was a cathartic exercise. What’s left in my wardrobe I will actually wear. There were a few things – formal stuff mostly – that I need to keep “in case”… but I folded those up and stored them under my bed. Then, as recommended by Sarah, I made my list of the items that needed replacing. You know the kind of thing – stuff that doesn’t really fit properly or that you’ve grown out of (both physically and mentally!), over-bobbled jumpers or items you have worn so much they have lost their shape or colour.
None of the things I was now missing were wardrobe investment pieces (thank goodness as, like everyone else, I’m on a tighter budget these days). So I took myself off to the nearest largest M&S and had a fun couple of me-time hours looking (and finding) replacements. Co-incidentally, Annabel has also recently bought one or two things from our favourite high street store so, when we got together last week, we took a few pix of us in our new purchases to show you what they look like on 60+ women…
- Nice, bright, fun pure cotton straight fit striped tee with long sleeves £8.50 (which I’m wearing under a mac I bought in M&S literally decades ago which has to be testament to the quality of their tailoring) – a similar style, a cotton blend belted trench is available £45.
- Annabel wears Pure cotton denim jacket in Ecru Mix £35. Generous fit in the body, sleeves quite short. Short sleeve modal bodysuit (3 cols available) £15. Sienna straight jeans with stretch (we can’t live without them!) £19.50 (7 colours available).
- Pure tencel denim regular fit shirt £16, available in 5 colours, including this vibrant blue.
- Ready for the summer with this pale blue and white striped pure linen popover blouse £35
- Such a feminine shirt (not just because it’s pink!)- soft to the touch, pretty cuffs. Modal rich collared utility shirt £11 (currently on sale) in store. You can check if available at your local M&S by using the Find In Store function on their website.
- Annabel and I are both wearing Mandarina shoes. Velvet Pixie boots in Plum and my trainers are called Blanche and come with spare coloured laces.
- Checked high neck button detail blouse shirt £12 – this brushed cotton is supersoft and the bold pattern hides my lumps and bumps. Loving the frilled collar too. Reasonably generous fit. Navy out of stock online but they do have a lovely neutral coloured one here.
- Lily slim jeans with stretch in 5 colours, I’m wearing Indigo Mix. £19.50 – comfortable and flattering. True to size I’d say and, delighted to report, comes in no less than FIVE lengths depending on which colour you select.
- Floral v neck shirred midi waisted dress £39.50. Available in short, regular or long lengths.
- Leather trainers £45 available in half sizes.
Few other things I spotted that were very tempting… perhaps next time!
- Cotton blend slim fit ankle grazer joggers (available in six colours) £29.50
- Denim collarless puff sleeve shirt £25 (available in Dark Charcoal and Blue Denim)
- Denim knee length shirt dress £45
I usually prefer to order online because M&S has lots of website exclusives (and if you need to, their returns are so easy) but I really enjoyed my leisurely wander around the store last week. It was great to be able to feel the fabric, try on lots of clothes and, of course, whizz a trolley around the food hall afterwards!
You can see more fashion posts and style ideas here